Despite the prominence of the RPG genre on the App Store, an inquisitive mind quickly discovers that about 70% are Action/RPGs ported from other mobile devices, with a few originally developed for the platform. The other 30% are split between the classic cRPGs like Undercroft (TMA Review), the Diablo-clones with Dungeon Hunter (TMA Review) in the lead and, very rarely, classic console jRPGs like the famous FINAL FANTASY series. It seems the latter has just got a massive upgrade with the release of Crimson Gem Saga – a port of a highly acclaimed PSP title.
I have to confess I missed the original SimCity when it came out back in 1989. Thankfully, I didn’t miss SimCity 2000 and remember spending ages on it, watching my bustling city grow and prosper. Well, it seems I will have many more sleepless nights with my iPhone now that Electronic Arts has released SimCity™ Deluxe on the App Store.
Star Wars is definitely one of the pillars of science-fiction. The original trilogy revolutionized how the general public perceive the genre and has left it’s trail in almost all areas of life – be it toys, CCGs, books or videogames. Even on the iDevice the franchise has left quite an impression, with Star Wars The Force Unleashed and the recent Star Wars: Trench Run being the most noteworthy titles. And now they have been joined by arguably the best Star Wars game on the iDevice to date in the form of a Tower Defence – Star Wars: Battle for Hoth.
So who’s ready for another great week of new iPhone / iPad releases? Me too, but this week wasn’t quite as spectacular as some in the past. We did get some remastered lovin’ in the form of Monkey Island 2 Special Edition for both iPhone and iPad, and The Last King Of Africa from Benoit Sokal was also released, so adventure game fans have plenty to do. If you’re into FPSes, there’s a new contender in Archetype that promises intense 5 on 5 combat action. And for RTS fans there’s The Gravedigger, a quirky new entry that lets you pit a priest and his faithful followers against a disgruntled gravedigger and his legion of the undead.
A little while back, we did a tutorial on how to read your old (non-epub) ebooks using iBooks. It featured Calibre, a powerful (and free) software that can easily manage and convert all your ebooks to the epub format. At the time of writing, Stanza, my preferred ebook app, had yet to receive a dedicated iPad version and thus, iBooks was essentially the only e-reader on the device. Well now that Stanza has received a recent update to make it a universal app (along with some other new and much welcomed features), we’ll be taking a look at how to transfer your existing ebooks collection onto the popular e-reader app on your iPad.
Reading has increasingly become a dying pastime in the current age of TV and Podcasting. Almost the only real place I can find the opportunity to enjoy it is on the commute to work and back. How great it is to enjoy a good long article from the comfort of my iDevice. And here I often run into a problem – no data coverage. Frustrated at the greedy mobile operators, stealing my only chance of broadening my horizons I set out on a quest to find an answer. And I did – Instapaper Pro!
About a year ago, the announcement of Warpgate, an open world space fighting/trading game caught my attention. Being a fan of the classic Privateer/X series, this seemed to be the answer to all of my prayers. Well, the long wait is finally over and having spent a considerable amount of time with the game, I can say – it was worth it! Feel free to discuss Warpgate in our forums.
It’s time to lay down the plastic tarps because those incontinent Sims are back in town. Actually, this time, they’re heading out of town and it is a rough-riding fun time. The Sims 3 World Adventures is bigger than its predecessor; there’s more to see, do, and loads of more sexies to pick up. If Sims 3 had you fishing and cooking for a good time, The Sims 3 World Adventures will have you chasing mummies in your time off and having a damn good time at it.
When I first heard that Street Fighter IV was coming to the App Store, I was less than enthusiastic. Ever since SF2 on the SNES, I have been a big fan of the series. I wept with joy when I purchased Alpha 3. I shook with disbelief after I purchased EX3. And suddenly, Capcom announces that it’s porting perhaps its most beloved franchise (apologies to Dr. Light, Jill Valentine and Dante) to the iDevice. Feel free to discuss this review of Street Fighter IV in our forums.
From the team that brought Sally’s Spa and Sally’s Salon to the iDevice, Hottie Hookups is a time management game with a difference. You’re not waiting tables, styling anyone’s hair or cooking the dinner. No, you’re playing Cupid. You’re sent to the hottest clubs around the world in order to make sure the gorgeous people are paired up together.