Win an iPad by whooping trash in G 2.0
Back in April Soma Games launched our first game called G:Into The Rain and the people on this board gave us a lot of really good input including telling us what sucked and what worked. We were listening.
To cut to the chase, we recently had the opportunity to rebuild G basically from the ground up to take up (most of) the input we got from players and we're re-releasing the game with a big contest March 3-16. With everything that's been added or changed it's really a totally new game and is finally the game we were hoping to make all along...but frankly didn't know how.
So what's new in the game:
- Twice the speed.
The most common comment was that the game was too slow. So we gave it a major power boost and it plays a lot more like an arcade now. It's still a puzzle game and not a twitcher, but this one thing radically improved game play.
- On-line leaderboards
The second most popular request was a set of leaderboards and we're pretty proud of what we've done here: http://www.somagames.com/ARC/top_contractors.php. A limited version of this feature was actually released about a month ago so we could test everything out, but 2.0 adds a lot of new features including a location sensitive option for local leaders.
- In-flight thrusters
With the new thrusters we've dropped the whole fire-and-forget gameplay model for something much more interactive.
- New ranks and achievements
- Corporate Specific Benefits
G is chapter one of four games, but now we've started to roll out the benefits players will get by working for different corporations. Keep in mind, other benefits will be revealed in future games and carry over from G to F to E...
- Facebook and Twitter integration
You can also challenge a friend via email ala DoodleJump
- Better iPhone performance
- New Free -> unlock version
This should be live by the March 3 contest opening but we'll allow folks to play the first 20 or so levels for free before being asked to upgrade to finish the game.
So to celebrate we're doing this contest thing. We'll be posting official rules on our website in the next day or two but the basic idea looks likes this:
- Must play 2.0 version on the iPhone or iTouch (no PC/Intel players)
- Scores must be posted to the on-line leaderboard between March 3 and March 16
- Any corporation bonuses don't count toward contest score.
- Highest cumulative score in those two weeks wins the iPad.
- Still looking into legal stuff, but it will probably be limited to the US and have an 18 and over thing...sorry about that. Governments seem intent on blocking these kinds of things.
So if you don't already have the game, it might be a good idea to get the full version and get practicing. The competition is already looking pretty fierce...