PDA

View Full Version : Developing an iPhone App

Thunderclaw
03-15-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm going to have a lot of time over the summer. So I might as well create an iPhone app.

How difficult might it be to create a simple app with no former coding knowledge but a good ability with graphics?
Meaning, I can most definitely do the visual stuff but don't know the first thing about coding.

Any recommendations on what I should use?

NineSwords
03-16-2010, 02:46 AM
You should start here (http://developer.apple.com/) and get the SDK.

Then just follow the documentation for a simple hello world app that runs in the simulator. You don't need any coding knowledge to do this.

Then start from there and look online for some beginner tutorials.

Or you can browse through your local bookstore. There are a few books out about Objective C. I got one last weekend but since I have a little bit of C background I find it hard to keep motivated to work through it because it starts at the very basics (even though the cover stated that it is forthose with C knowledge).

If you find some good online recources let me know ;)

Right now I'm looking into what to programm together with a friend. Google Wave is a big help in this stage.

scorelessmusic
03-16-2010, 03:41 AM
I would highly recommend http://www.gamesalad.com. I have already published two apps using just GameSalad and I made the apps in less than a week each. It's a very powerful platform that just requires creativity and artistry.

The cool thing is that GameSalad can also compile the same project for Web (Mac Safari with plug-in) and Mac OSX (desktop/laptop).

(The apps I did with GameSalad are Mozart To Infinity and Vocal Slide Timer... found at http://www.scorelessmusic.com/apps)

Thunderclaw
03-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Awesome, thanks.

NineSwords, Google wave address?

And is there anyway to develop an iPhone App without a Mac?

NineSwords
03-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Awesome, thanks.

NineSwords, Google wave address?

And is there anyway to develop an iPhone App without a Mac?

Google Wave is at the moment in a closed beta. I have beta invitations left, so PM me your email and I send you a invitation. You can have a look at what this is exactly under wave.google.com. In short - it's a collaboration tool. So it only makes sense when are working with others on a project. But then it helps a lot.

The SDK runs only under MAC OS. So you can go three ways. 1.) Buy a mac, 2.) Build a hackintosh like I did. 3.) Use Virtualisation software like VM ware and run MAC OS there.

Thunderclaw
03-16-2010, 08:25 PM
I meant how can I add you, I already have Google Wave. :p

And what's this virtualization thing?

NineSwords
03-17-2010, 03:49 AM
just add @googlewave.com ;)

Virtualization means you run a programm (for example VMware (http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/)) that creates a virtual computer inside a window. You can then isntall MacOS on this virtual machine. My friends can run MacOS fast enough to work with this, but it did run incredibly slow on my PC even though they don't have much different hardware.

I love my Hackintosh solution. Even tough I am able to multiboot I am so happy with MacOS that I doesn't even go through the hassle to install windows.

Thunderclaw
03-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Ok, I'll try out the VMware thing.
Thank you very much!

SteveNaka
03-18-2010, 10:45 AM
whats the skinny on Game Salad? Is it hard to pick up? Is it retarded 30year old who's never programmed a damn thing besides his pvr - proof?

SteveNaka
03-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Geez...i ask a question and ...ghost town.

I'm such a thread killer.

Thunderclaw
03-19-2010, 02:15 PM
I don't think anybody understood your question.

NineSwords
03-19-2010, 02:46 PM
whats the skinny on Game Salad? Is it hard to pick up? Is it retarded 30year old who's never programmed a damn thing besides his pvr - proof?

I have no experience with GameSalad, so I cannot give you any answer.

scorelessmusic
03-20-2010, 09:28 AM
I've taught a person to program an app using GameSalad in just 3 hours. She had no prior programming experience. I do believe just about anyone can use GameSalad to program an iPhone app.

ChiffaN
03-22-2010, 08:36 AM
How efficient is GameSalad? Maybe Unity would be a better bet?

NineSwords
03-22-2010, 08:46 AM
This is all games though... (or am I wrong?)

scorelessmusic
03-22-2010, 06:42 PM
It's not all games. I created two non-game apps, Mozart To Infinity and Visual Slide Timer. You have to really be creative.

And it's about empowerment. What's the point of efficiency when the alternative (GameSalad) actually empowers me to write apps that actually get published in the App Store? From start to finish, I picked up the skills in a single day and made apps in less than 24 hours each from ground zero.

Other SDKs, and even Xcode itself can be said to be much more efficient, but with those, I will never be able to write an app based on what I have in my head. So it should be obvious which is situationally better.

Dreaded
03-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Thunderclaw, you may have inspired me to work on my own application. I'm probably gonna check out GameSalad first, as I have some prior programming knowledge.

scorelessmusic
03-31-2010, 08:50 AM
GameSalad is also able to make iPad apps, and Mac desktop apps too. :)

Dreaded
03-31-2010, 09:09 AM
GameSalad is also able to make iPad apps, and Mac desktop apps too. :)

I think I'll start off with a simple iPhone game. ;)

checkpoint
12-30-2011, 12:42 AM
I also learnt a lot from this thread. Thanks