Instapaper (TMA Review), the most popular “read it later” service on the web and for mobile devices (also an essential app on my iDevice), has received its biggest update ever. With Instapaper 3.0, you can now follow other Instapaper users and check out articles they’ve “liked”, or simply browse through Instapaper’s Editor’s Picks. Friends can be added via an email address, Facebook or Twitter. Other new features and improvements include:
- “Star” is now called “Like” to clarify its purpose.
- New storage engine with perfect image quality, faster downloads, faster page-opening, and less space usage.
- Search all downloaded articles by title or content.
- Native, offline sharing to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinboard, and Evernote.
- Smart rotation lock offers to disable rotation if a rotation seems accidental.
If you’re new to Instapaper, it really is a fantastic tool that lets you save articles you come across on the web for viewing later (and offline). Simply visit instapaper.com to get started and sign up for your free account. As with previous versions, Instapaper 3.0 is a universal app ($4.99) and the update is free for those who’ve already purchased it.