Have you ever wished that while travelling abroad, you could keep your own phone number AND not have to pay those exorbitantly high roaming rates? Well thanks a Latvian based company who also brought us VIR2SIM, their recently released Roamer app will let you do just that – keep your number while saving a bundle when overseas. Basically, you’ll need an unlocked iPhone/Android phone and a local SIM card from the city you’ll be travelling to. Then after activating the new SIM with the Roamer app, whenever calls are made to your home number, they’ll be re-routed to your new local number. According to Roamer, you can save up to 96% on those pesky roaming rates. For example, if you’re traveling to the UK, €10 credits is good for 250 minutes of incoming calls (€0.04/min). Outgoing calls are slightly more expensive (depending on destination), but the catch here – and this only applies to outgoing calls – is that they require an internet connection, be it via a data plan or WIFI.
According to Roamer’s FAQ, here’s how to use their service:
1) Install Roamer from AppStore or Google Play. The app is FREE! Don’t forget to add calling credits to your Roamer account before departure.
2) Launch Roamer and park your number before departure (Depart Now). It is done by forwarding incoming calls to our service number in your area, which is assigned exclusively to you. Call charges are debited from your Roamer account.
3) Activate local SIM card in Roamer. Buy a SIM card in destination country. Launch Roamer to activate your new SIM card. At the moment of activation you need an Internet connection: WiFi or GPRS or higher. Now, when somebody calls your usual home number, the calls will reach you while you are abroad. To make a call, just launch Roamer, choose the contact, press call and wait for a callback. Only when the call is initiated you need an Internet connection: WiFi or GPRS or higher. The other party will see your usual number as a Caller ID.
The key is to “park” your number before leaving your home country. If you do forget, you can still avoid roaming charges and take advantage of their low roaming rates, the only difference is that Roamer will assign you a new temporary number from your home city (basically you’ll have to give your friends/family/colleagues this new number so they can still call you without having to pay long distance).
As for credit packs, they can be purchased from within the app as an IAP if using an iPhone (paypal for Android users). Denominations are as follows: 9.99, 19.99, 29.99 and 49.99 EUR or US$ 12.99, 25.99, 38.99, 64.99. Check out the video below for more details or head directly to Roamer’s website for rates to all 216 supported countries.
Roamer - roaming solved
Link your mobile number to a foreign SIM and save up to 97% on roaming. You can still use your foreign SIM card for cheap local calls and data.
*** New users get €5 bonus***
*** Start saving in 3 simple steps ***
1. Before departure, launch Roamer and tap ‘Park My Number’.
By parking your number you link your regular phone number to a dedicated temporary service number.
2. Purchase a foreign SIM card and authorise it through Roamer.
You will need a SIM card with a minimal data plan to authorise your number.
3. Receive and make calls.
Once the SIM is authorised, calls to your regular number start reaching you instantly. For international calls, including your home country, use Roamer. To make local calls, use your phone's default dialer. Your SIM card balance will not be charged for using Roamer.
*** How Roamer works? ***
Roamer uses a combination of technology and magic to let you avoid roaming while keeping your regular number. Roamer links your number to a foreign SIM card with no roaming charges. We use GSM to connect calls (not WiFi or 3G), thus offering excellent call quality regardless of the internet connection speed in the area.
*** How do I receive calls with my number? ***
As soon as you authorise your foreign SIM card, calls to your regular number start coming in as usual. It's that simple. You don’t need WiFi or 3G for incoming calls.
*** How do I make calls with my regular number? ***
Roamer works via callback service. To make a call, launch Roamer, select a contact from the list (or dial the number manually) and press Call. Receive callback, pick up the phone and wait for connection. The other party will see your usual caller ID.
*** How to make a local call while abroad? ***
To make local calls while abroad simply use your phone's default dialer. Local calls are provided by your foreign mobile operator and have no connection with Roamer.
*** How do I get charged? ***
You will only be charged from your Roamer account when receiving calls from your home country or calling abroad with Roamer. Calls are charged on a per second basis with no connection fees or hidden fees of any kind. Rates may vary depending on country. When calling locally and using the internet you will only be charged from your foreign SIM card balance.
*** Which countries are supported by Roamer? ***
You can travel to over 212 countries of the world, but you should be travelling from one of the 54 countries where you can park your number. A detailed list of all supported countries is available on roamerapp.com or via application.
*** Do you use WiFi/3G to connect calls? ***
No! We always use GSM to connect calls to ensure the best call quality possible. Incoming calls will reach your phone as usual, no 3G needed. To make an outgoing call you need a one-time Internet connection to send a callback request (WiFi, GPRS or higher quality connection). No voice traffic is broadcasted over the data connection, so it will take almost none of your data plan.
*** What about data roaming? ***
Once you arrive at your destination country, you install a new SIM card to use with Roamer. With a new SIM you normally get a data plan from a local operator, which is the cheapest option available. On top of that, by running Roamer, you get to keep your regular phone number for incoming and outgoing calls, all the while saving up to 97% on regular roaming…
- added rates to the menu in "abroad" mode
- added "Happy destination" icon to the country list
- redesigned the steps if you forgot to park your number
- pull recents list down to refresh
- fixed "++" in "Number activated" screen
- redesigned "in roaming" page
- Version: 1.2.4
- Created & Sold by: Roamer SIA
- Categories: Travel, Business