Snappgrip turns your iPhone into a point and shoot camera
TheÂ Gizmon iCa iPhone camera case is downright awesome. But what if you want a more hefty grip so that your iPhone literallyÂ feels more like a real digital point and shoot camera? Enter the Snappgrip, a cool bluetooth enabled case/controller that just started its Kickstarter campaign moments ago.
snappgripÂ provides camera controls for smartphones. The snappgripÂ controller mounts to a protective phone case so that you can conveniently attach it when you want to use your handset for some serious photography.
Available for the iPhone 4/5 and Samsung Galaxy S3, the bluetooth controller works in unison with a dedicated iOS and Android app so you can take photos with the shutter button, choose from various shooting modes and zoom in/out.Â More specifically, theÂ SnappgripÂ controller provides real shooting controls such as:
- Shutter Function:Â Full press to take picture, half press to focus
- Shooting Mode:Â Portrait, landscape, flash and video
- Zoom Function:Â Zoom in for close ups or zoom out for wide shots
And additional features include:
- An iPhone 4, iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S3-specific case to which the Snappgrip controller is easily attached or removed
- A tripod mounting point at the base of the controller
- A power switch and a micro USB connector for easy recharging with any standard USB/micro-USB cable
- An internal lithium ion battery that will last up to 60 hours on standby
Judging by the intro video and screenshots, the Snappgrip looks quite promising, especially if the idea of being able to comfortably hold your iPhone for everyday photography sounds enticing. Since this Kickstart campaign just went underway, there are still plenty of early bird specials available. ForÂ Â£19 (~$30US), you’ll get the full Snappgrip package, which includesÂ the case and controller (there are only 100 of these pledges up for grabs). Once that’s gone, you can still secure yours forÂ Â£29 (500 slots). TheÂ Snappgrip is expected to be released inÂ February 2013Â for aroundÂ Â£69. There are still 39 days to go for the team to meet its goal ofÂ Â£18,000 in funding.
Check out the video below and head over to the Kickstart page for the complete details.
- Works with: iPhone 4, iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S3
- App available for iOS and Android
- Colours: Silver/Black, Silver/White/Brown, limited edition gold plated Kickstarter edition
- Phone case with removable camera controller. Wriststrap loop.
- App connectivity: Bluetooth
- Tripod Mount: Universal 1/4â€ thread; compatible with all standard tripods
- Power: micro USB for charging. ~60 hours standby.
Production & Launch
We have a beautiful working prototype and we’re encouraged by the feedback from people we speak to. This Kickstarter campaign is our opportunity to finesse the product before production and of course get that funding boost that can fast-track our production.
Once we’re funded we will be able to quickly manufacture the first snappgripbatch and ship them to our project backers. We are fortunate that we have good connections with proven manufacturing facilities in the far east allowing us to quickly manage production, QA and shipping without learning these processes along the way. If you check our team biography below you’ll see that we’ve been involved with consumer electronics design, manufacturing and distribution for a while so although the unexpected will always find ways to trip you up, if this funding programme is successful, we will be repeating processes that we’ve undertaken at other times in our careers.