iTunes 11 is now available for download
First officially unveiled during Apple’s iPhone 5 event back in September, the completely redesigned and much improved iTunes software is here. The most obvious change is the new UI, which is much cleaner and browsing through all your media is a more enjoyable experience. By default, the Sidebar is gone, giving it a slick edge-to-edge design (which can be enabled via View –> Show Sidebar if so desired). Other new features include iCloud integration, a new Mini Player, improved search, ‘Up Next’ (easily see and edit which songs are playing next) and a redesigned iTunes store aimed at improving app and content discovery. By and large, I’ve been pretty impressed with iTunes 11 so far. It looks better than ever and it even feels faster. Whether it’s a memory hog remains to be seen…
You can download the latest iTunes here or by going to iTunes –> Check for updates on your Mac/PC. Check out the video demoing iTunes 11 after the break.
What’s New in iTunes 11:
- Completely Redesigned. iTunes makes it more fun to explore and enjoy your music, movies, and TV shows. You’ll love the beautiful edge-to-edge design, custom designs for each album, movie, or TV show in your library, and getting personal recommendations any time you click In the Store.
- A New Store. The iTunes Store has been completely redesigned and now features a clean look that makes it simpler than ever to see what’s hot and discover new favorites.
- Play purchases from iCloud. Your music, movie, and TV show purchases in iCloud now appear inside your library. Just sign-in with your Apple ID to see them. Double-click to play them directly from iCloud or download a copy you can sync to a device or play while offline.
- Up Next. It’s now simple to see which songs are playing next, all from a single place. Just click the Up Next icon in the center display and they’ll instantly appear. You can even reorder, add, or skip songs whenever you like.
- New MiniPlayer. You can now do a whole lot more with a lot less space. In addition to showing what’s playing, MiniPlayer now includes album art, adds Up Next, and makes it easy to search for something new to play—all from a smaller and more elegant design.
- Improved search. It’s never been easier to find what you’re looking for in iTunes. Just type in the search field and you’ll instantly see results from across your entire library. Select any result and iTunes takes you right to it.
- Playback syncing. iCloud now remembers your place in a movie or TV show for you. Whenever you play the same movie or episode from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple TV, it will continue right where you left off.