Splashtop 2 – Remote Desktop released for iPhone and iPod Touch, FREE for a limited time
Splashtop has consistently been one of the most popular remote access and desktop control apps for iOS, and iPhone and iPod Touch users will benefit even more now with the release of Splashtop 2. Version 2.0 was first made available for the iPad ($6.99) several months ago, now with improvements in speed, reliability, security and support for Retina Display hitting the iPhone. So why would you want to use such an app? Well for starters, remote access apps like Splashtop allow you to control your desktop/laptop right from the comforts of your iDevices. So even if you’re away from your computer, you can still work on that Word document, or even watch videos that are located on your hard drive.
To make the connection, you first need to install Splashtop 2 on your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, then install the Splashtop Streamer on your PC or Mac. If it’s your first time using Splashtop, you’ll also need to create an account before getting started (simply follow the prompts on the screen). Once you’ve logged in via the streamer app, fire up Splashtop 2 on your iDevice and tap on the computer you wish to remotely connect to. Within seconds, the desktop environment will automagically be transported into your mobile screen.
True to their word, I’ve found Splashtop 2 snappier than before, and logging in is a breeze. For a quick test, I used my iPhone 5 to open VLC on my iMac and played an episode of American Dad. The video booted up quickly, the audio came through loud and clear via the phone’s speakers and the stream was surprisingly smooth. Graphic intensive games can be played as well according to the developers, though I have yet to give this a try.
Splashtop 2 is now FREE for a limited time, after which the price will jump to $4.99. Do note that remote access is always free under Wifi connections, though if you need to connect to your desktop via 3G/4G (basically away from home or the office), you will need to purchase the “Anywhere Access Pack” from within the app. It’s $0.99 for a month or $9.99 for the year. Rest assured that using 3G/4G to access your computer is fully secured thanks to the transfer of data using SSL with 256-bit AES encryption.
Splashtop, Splashtop 2 – Remote Desktop for iPhone & iPod - Free
Splashtop is the easiest and fastest way to access your Mac or Windows PC from your iPhone & iPod! Over 8 million users are enjoying Splashtop apps today, and you should too!
Use Splashtop to access your computer on the local network, with best-in-class video and audio streaming performance, Micorosft Office Suite and PDF viewing and editing, full browser access with Flash / Java support (IE, Chrome, Firefox), playing 3D PC / MAC games, and access all your media library and documents. . Put your PC or Mac in your pocket!
Apple named Splashtop as “Apple’s Top 25 best-selling iPad app of All-Time” (April 2012). It’s also:
#1 iPhone business app in 62 countries
#1 iPad business app in 100+ countries
* Access all of your programs and files with 100% compatibility, including PowerPoint, Keynote, Word, Excel, Outlook, Quicken, IE, Chrome, Safari, and all other PC/Mac applications
* Use your full desktop browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox) with Flash and Java support, all of your bookmarks, and your favorite plug-ins
* Watch all the videos that are playable only on your computer, including Flash (Hulu, Youtube, etc.), DVDs, and Windows Media Player
* Listen to the music library on your computer, whatever format it’s in (WMA, RealAudio, MP3, AAC, etc.)
* Play 3D games and all the Flash games (FarmVille, CityVille, etc.)
Optional In-App Purchase – buy Anywhere Access Pack to access your computer over 3G/4G or from across the Internet, via our global network of secure, high-performance servers:
– Access across Internet over 3G/4G and Wi-Fi
– Optimized streaming performance under varying network conditions
– Fully secured via SSL with 256-bit AES encryption
1. Install Splashtop Streamer on your PC (Windows 7, Vista, and XP) or Mac (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion). Download for free from www.splashtop.com/streamer
2. A computer with dual-core CPU is strongly recommended for best performance
3. The purchase of this app includes license to access up to 5 computers
4. Compatible with iPhone 3GS and newer and iPod touch (3rd generation and later)