In what appears to be a first for the iPhone, Ad Hoc Labs has released Burner, an app that lets its users create disposable phone numbers, which in turn can be used to place calls or send text messages. Ad Hoc feels that these temporary digits can be used for “ dating, Craigslist, short-term projects, side businesses, bands, and other times when you need to be in touch but want to maintain a little privacy”. How it works is you can create a new number (called a “Burner”) anytime within the app, where all active numbers can be managed. Each number includes voice minutes and a limit of messages that can be sent, along with a set of preferences (choose whether calls get redirected to your main mobile number or go straight to your voice mail). When outgoing calls are made, the recipient will only be able to see your Burner number on their caller ID – otherwise, what’s the point right?
All numbers get their own “Burn” button, which when used, will permanently destroy it. If someone tries to call that number after it’s been burned, they’ll get a generic out-of-service message.
The app itself costs $1.99 and comes loaded with one Burner that is good for 7 days, 20 minutes of talk or 60 texts – whichever comes first. Additional credits can be purchased via IAP (starting as low as $1.99 for a 3 credit pack) and they can be used to create new numbers or extend the usage of of existing ones. As an incentive, the more credits you buy, the more bang you get for your buck. Thanks to Burner, stalking your hot neighbour has just gotten a whole lot easier.
Below is a video demo of Burner.
Ad Hoc Labs, Burner – Disposable Phone Numbers - $1.99
Burner is a privacy layer for your phone, providing alias phone numbers at the push of a button.
Fast, safe, and totally private – get Burner numbers as often as you need them, and get as many as you want.
Give out Burner numbers, and make and get voice calls and SMS texts, just like any other phone number. Keep them for a month, or longer. Burn them when you’re done.
Perfect for dating, job searches, short-term projects, craigslist transactions, Twitter, Tumblr, and other social media, and for whenever else you want to be in touch and want to keep it on a private line, or don’t want to give out your real number.
** What will you use Burner for? **
IMPORTANT: Not for iPad or iPod Touch. Phone calls use cell phone minutes. Burners are not free. May not work with SMS shortcode services. No MMS. Not for 911 emergency services.
**** BURNER FEATURES ****
• get a phone number, or multiple phone numbers, from preferred area codes
• name each one so you can keep track of its purpose (e.g. “Dating”)
• easily tweet, copy/paste, and share your burner numbers
STAY IN TOUCH
• get calls or SMS’s to your Burner number
• make outbound calls and texts, or reply to inbounds, with your Burner number
• view convenient threaded conversations with each caller
• turn the ringer and SMS on and off to let calls and texts ring through to your phone line, or go straight to a professional but anonymous voicemail
• add each one to your address book (or not), so you’ll get caller ID when the lines ring
• see a history of calls, texts, and voicemails, and take notes on callers (or delete them)
• reply via SMS or voice using your burner number
• never reveal your real number or let callers through to your real phone’s answering machine
• “burn” or trade in your virtual number at the click of a button, instantly taking it out of service and deleting it from your phone
**** HOW BURNER WORKS ****
• Burner comes with enough credits to create 1 mini-burner that will expire after 20 minutes of voice time and/or 60 text messages, or after 7 days, whichever comes first. (Or you can burn it at any time.)
• Inbound and outbound calls forward to and use your actual phone line (and cellular minutes) but keep the call identity private in both directions.
• Text messages do not use your SMS allowance.
• You can buy more credits, starting at 3 for $1.99, with discounts for buying more
• You can use credits to buy various types of burners and extensions to burners.
• When you burn a number, we take it out of service and delete it from your phone immediately.
• Burner numbers do not support MMS.
• Not for 911 or emergency calls.
** Save your real number for the real VIP’s in your life, and get Burner now! **