iPhone 5 (and iPad Mini) rumoured to be announced on Sept 12, go on sale Sept 21st
According to iMore's sources – ones they claim have proven accurate in the past – Apple is planning to unveil the iPhone 5 during a special event that'll be held on September 12th, with a release date to follow 9 days later, on September 21. The iPad mini, along with an all new iPod Nano (and likely iPod Touch) is set to be announced as well during the same event. From what iMore is hearing, the iPad Mini will be exactly the same as the 9.7″ big brother, only sized down to 7.x inches. A recent rumour had pegged the smaller iPad to feature a 7.85″ IGZO screen and a $250-299 price tag.
Meanwhile, iLounge has also published a report this morning providing a number of juicy tidbits regarding the release of the new iPhone and other iDevices. Here's what their “highly reliable source” is saying:
1) New iPhone - Apple is getting ready to ship the iPhone 5 sometime mid-September, with a launch date set for the third week of September. This would put it around the Sept 21 date that iMore had mentioned.
2) New iPhone 5 cases – Apple is planning to release not one, but two cases for the new iPhone. First is a bumper cases similar to the one for the iPhone 4/4S. The second is a completely re-designed case that iLounge's sources say will have a drastic impact on the accessory market (if released). A case with a built-in stand maybe a possibility.
3) New iPod Touch – Likely to be announced during the same upcoming Apple event and will also grow in screen size to 4 inches. If true, this will be the first time that a new design for both the iPhone and iPod Touch are revealed at the same time.
4) iPad Mini – The iPad Mini will not be shipping at the same time as the new iPhone, and it's possible that it'll have it's very own unveiling event. A launch date of November is a possibility. As for cases, Apple is said to be working on a smaller Smart Cover and Smart Case for the iPad mini.
5) 4th Generation iPad - Apple's plan for the iPad 4 involves minor body tweaks, all the while implementing the new small dock connector, a rear-side microphone, and improving on performance and heat issues that have accompanied the current gen iPad. The rear-side mic will be like the one found the iPhone 5 (located between the camera and flash) and should improve audio quality during rear video recordings.
If the iPhone 5 does indeed launch on Sept 21, that would put it at 11 months between an iPhone release. The wait between the iPhone 4 and 4S was an excruciatingly long 16 months. Thankfully, we'll only have to wait less than a month and a half before the rumoured Apple event drops on Sept 12th.