Twitter app update: Expanded Tweets, improved notifications and more
Twitter for iOS was updated earlier this afternoon and users will undoubtedly welcome the new additions. Twitter’s expanded tweets feature, which you’ve likely experienced already online (and on the mobile site) has made its way onto the iPhone and iPad (this is being rolled out gradually, so it’s possible that tweets don’t expand for you just yet). For those not familiar, users expanding tweets to partner sites (NYT, WSJ, TIME etc) will see content previews, view images and even be able to play videos right then without leaving the page. One example of this is if you tap on that Kickstarter tweet on your iPhone, you’ll be able watch the project video directly from the Tweet details view in the app.
The other signification new feature is the ability to set push notifications for specific people/companies you follow. So the moment they send out a tweet/retweet, you’ll immediately be notified via an alert or banner right on your iDevice. To set this up, head over to the “Me” tab in the newly updated Twitter app, tap on Settings, and then Notifications. Under Tweets, turn Tweets to On. Now whenever you visit the profile page of whoever it is you’re following, tap on the action button (next to Follow/Following button) and you’ll see the option to turn on notifications. Once set up, you can always head back into Me–>Settings–>Notifications–Tweets to tweak who you receive notifications from. This is especially handy during special events (say Apple Keynotes) and you wish to receive the latest play-by-play tweets from several of your favorite tech blogs.
The 4.3 update to the universal (and free) Twitter app is now available to download from the App Store. Check out the full changelog below.
Twitter, Twitter – Free
What’s New in Version 4.3
Twitter for iPhone 4.3
– Expanded Tweets: when you view Tweet details containing links to partner websites, you can now see content previews, view images, play videos and more [please note: this feature is rolling out gradually] – Enhanced experience around selected events with the best Tweets and photos from those involved
– Push notifications for Tweets: choose to receive notifications from people you follow anytime they tweet or retweet
– Ambient notifications: enables you to see brief non-interruptive notifications in the status bar while you are using the app
– Improvements to search autocomplete for users
– Discover: now indicates when new stories are available for you to view
– Tappable avatars that take you directly to user profiles
– Performance improvements
– Support for password entry in app when experiencing authentication issues
– Hungarian language support
– Updated with new Twitter bird
– Many other tweaks, polish, and bug and crasher fixes