Apple releases Podcasts app for iPhone and iPad
Gearing up for the eventual release of iOS 6, Apple has released earlier today a standalone app for discovering, subscribing, and playing podcasts on your iDevice. Simply called Podcasts, the universal app will help streamline the entire podcast experience on your iPhone and iPad. Currently on iOS 5, you you can stream and listen to podcasts right from the iTunes.app, but if any were downloaded for offline listening, you’d have to make your way to the Music.app to access those files. Now with Podcasts, everything is done under one roof. An all-new “innovative” new Top Stations feature lets users find and try new podcasts from a variety of categories, including arts, business, comedy and more.
Other features include browsing by audio or video podcasts, subscribing to your favorites and automatically receiving new episodes when they become available and turning on the Sleep Timer function when in bed. For added convenience, you can optionally sync podcast episodes from iTunes on your Mac/PC, as well as between iDevices. To run the app, you’ll need to be on iOS 5.1 and syncing episodes will require iTunes 10.6.3 or higher.
Listening to podcasts on your iPhone, iPod Touch/Nano or iPad while driving or commuting is an awesome way to pass the time. Personally, one of my favorites on iTunes is the zombie podcast We’re Alive – A “Zombie” Story of survival. Check it out with the Podcasts app if you’re up for a gripping story and spot on voice acting. Podcasts is free to download and available now on the App Store (8.8MB).
Apple, Podcasts – Free
Podcasts app is the easiest way to discover, subscribe to and play your favorite podcasts on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Explore hundreds of thousands of free audio and video podcasts from the Podcasts Catalog, and play the most popular podcasts, organized for you by topic, with the all-new Top Stations feature.
• Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
• Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
• Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
• Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
• Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
• Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
• Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
• Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
• Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
• Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
• Requires a device with iOS 5.1 or later
• Optionally syncing episodes requires iTunes 10.6.3 or later
• Streaming or downloading episodes requires internet access over a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection