AVG Family Safety on iOS keeps your kids safe from the dark side of the web
AVG, one of the most popular Antivirus protection softwares for the PC, has released a new iOS app. No, it’s not a tool to scan your iPhone or iPad for viruses and malware, but rather its purpose is to keep your precious little ones at home away from the web’s widespread filth. CalledÂ AVG Family Safety, the app will keep the entire family safe from “scam, fraud, phishing and potentially malicious online content” (not to mention porn). So if lil Johnny’s curious about “boobs” and googles it…Bam!, AVG’s there to block the search. It’s similar to other web browser apps in that you can create bookmarks and enjoy tabbed browsing, but it’ll also allow you to set up a password and manually block sites you don’t wish your kids to visit.
And when used withÂ AVG Family Safety on the PC ($19.99/year), parents can easily customize a list of allowed/blocked sites when using the app (including social networks) and even monitor the online activity of various users by iDevice. Of course, in order for all this to work more effectively, you’ll probably want to disable the use of Safari, so they can’t just jump on that to circumvent AVG. To do this, head over to Settings –> General –> Restrictions and tap “Enable Restrictions”. Then enter a password and turn Safari to “Off”.
AVG Family Safety is available now on the App Store and free to download. If you have young ones at home and are worried about what they’ll stumble on while surfing the web, this is definitely worth checking out.
Â AVG Family SafetyÂ®Â – Free
AVG Family Safety is a free, secure, family-friendly Web Browser, which helps protect your children from inappropriate websites, while also keeping your whole family safe from scam, fraud, phishing and potentially malicious online content. AVG Family Safety helps your family make the right choices online.
AVG Family Safety comes on top of the built-in mobile security provided by Apple for your iOS device. It will block sites that you may not wish your children to see when they are surfing the Web on an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, and also helps prevent your family visiting malicious websites that try to misuse personal data.
By downloading and using AVG Family Safetyâ€™s secure browser, as an alternative to Safari, you can take steps to ensure:
- You and your family only visit safe websites. Websites that are known to be malicious or contain scams or malware will be blocked, using data provided by AVGâ€™s LinkscannerÂ® technology. You will be notified and prevented from accessing the rogue site.
- Your children are kept safe from mature and inappropriate content. Sites that are deemed inappropriate will be blocked, with the category displayed on screen.
AVG Family Safety works just like other web browsers, and features:
- Browser history of websites visited
- Bookmarks for favorite websites
- Address bar that hides to maximize screen space
- Works with WiFi and mobile data Internet connections
When you use AVG Family Safety in conjunction with AVG Family Safetyâ„¢ PC desktop product, you will also be able to:
- Easily customize the list of allowed and blocked sites
- Monitor the online activity of the different users of your Apple device/s
- Block social networking and other sites (per mobile device)
The AVG Family Safetyâ„¢ desktop PC software can be downloaded from: http://www.avg.com/gb-en/avg-family-safety
In order to best protect you and your family, we recommend locking the use of Safari. To do this, just follow these 3 simple steps:
(1) Open â€œSettingsâ€
(2) Choose â€œGeneralâ€
(3) Choose â€œRestrictionsâ€. Restrict using safari by dragging the slider under the â€œSafariâ€ option to â€œOFF.â€
Once other browsers are disabled, links and URLs will be accessible only from AVG Family Safety.
More information can be found on our FAQ page at: http://www.avgmobilation.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/ios
Languages supported: English, Spanish, Czech, Italian and French.
Devices supported: iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch.