Instapaper adds iBooks-style page turns and more in 4.2 update
Instapaper, arguably the best read it later app on iOS (this despite the recent relaunch of the very capable Pocket), has been updated to v4.2 and adds even more substance to its already impressive list of features. The all-new “Fast Pagination Mode” improves upon the accuracy and page-turn speed thanks to the complete re-write of the old pagination code. And for those who love iBook’s page-turn animations, you’ll be happy to know that Instapaper now mimics the same effect when swiping from one page to the next (optional). Other new additions include a two finger swipe gesture to close an article, an “Auto” full screen mode and a draggable dot bar that replaces the old scoll bar in pagination mode. Instapaper is a universal app and free for existing users, otherwise, will cost $4.99. Full list of what’s new after the break.
Â Marco Arment,Â InstapaperÂ – $4.99
What’s New in Version 4.2
– All-new Fast Pagination mode, a complete rewrite from the old pagination code that greatly improves accuracy and page-turn speed
– Optional iBooks-style page-turning animations and gestures
– New draggable dot bar to replace the scroll bar in pagination mode
– New two-finger-swipe gesture to close an article
– Full-screen now has “Auto” mode to switch to full screen after a few seconds
– The subtle Twilight Sepia color tint can now be selected at any time
– Added sharing to Drafts and Quotebook apps
– Many bugfixes and performance improvements
On a personal note, my wife and I just had a baby. You, my awesome customers, let me work at home and spend as much time with my family as possible during this great time. Thank you so much.
Save web pages for later offline reading, optimized for readability on your iPhone or iPod touch’s screen. Featured by Apple and critically acclaimed by top blogs, newspapers, and magazines!
Great for long articles and blog posts that you find during the day and would like to read, but don’t have the time when you find them. Save with Instapaper, then read later when you’re commuting, in a meeting, or waiting in line.
Need something to read? You can browse articles that your friends posted on Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr. Or browse the Editor’s Picks, curated by hand from the Instapaper community’s most-saved stories.
Sending to Instapaper is supported by over 150 other iPhone and iPad apps! You can even send long emails to Instapaper to read later.
– Saves most web pages as text only, stripping away the full-sized layout to optimize for the iPhone and iPad screens
– Distraction-free reading environment gets out of your way so you can focus on the content
– Everything you download is then available **OFFLINE**, so you can read whenever you want, even on airplanes, subways, or Wi-Fi-only devices away from internet connections
– Adjustable fonts, text sizes, line spacing, and margins
– Dark mode and brightness control for night reading
– Automatic sepia tint and Dark mode switching for sunset times in your location
– Folders for organization
– Dictionary and Wikipedia lookups
– Tilt scrolling, page-flipping
– Share via email, Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, Pinboard, Evernote, or other supported apps
– Rotation lock
– Preview links in the built-in browser without leaving the app
– Download up to 500 articles on your iPhone or iPad, and store unlimited articles on the Instapaper website
– Search your entire reading history (available via in-app purchase)
– Featured by Apple many times in the App Store, including both the iPhone and iPad Hall of Fame
– Macworld Editor’s Choice Award
– Featured in Wired, TIME, Daring Fireball, TechCrunch, PCMag, TUAW, The Next Web, and many more magazines, newspapers, and websites