Apple releases Messages beta for Mac OS X Lion
One of the most popular features found in iOS 5 – iMessage – will be coming to a Mac near you, thanks to the upcoming and next major release of Mac Os: Mountain Lion. In fact, the beta version of Messages for Mac was released earlier today, so current Lion users can get a taste of sending messages to other iDevices right from their Macs. Here’s what you can expect from the highly anticipated chat app:
- Send unlimited iMessages to any Mac, iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.*
- Start an iMessage conversation on your Mac and continue it on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
- Send photos, videos, attachments, contacts, locations, and more.
- Launch a FaceTime video call and bring the conversation face-to-face.
- Messages supports iMessage, AIM, Yahoo!, Google Talk, and Jabber accounts.
Upon installing Messages, it’ll replace iChat on your Mac, though iChat services will continue to work. You can download the (free) Messages beta app directly from Apple.