Ticket to Ride Pocket, the excellent iOS adaptation of the award winning and best selling board game, is now free for a limited time. Similar to its iPad sibling, Ticket to Ride Pocket was designed from the ground up to make the complete board game experience possible on the iPhone’s 3.5″ screen.
Ticket to Ride is a cross-country train adventure in which players collect and play matching train cards to claim railway routes connecting cities throughout North America.
The longer the routes, the more points they earn. Additional points come to those who can fulfill their Destination Tickets by connecting two distant cities, and to the player who builds the longest continuous railway. The object of the game is to score the highest number of total points.
A recent update (v1.1) also introduced an all-new asynchronous multiplayer mode, where players can challenge each other online via GameCenter. And for the more ambitious, multiple online games can even be played at the same time (simply cycle through matches when your turn’s up). The rules of the game can seem daunting at first, but an informative tutorial in-game (embedded video below) should get newbies up to speed in no time. If board games are your cup of tea, don’t miss out on this awesome freebie offer.
Days Of Wonder, Inc., Ticket to Ride Pocket, – Free
*** Apple Game of the Week (iPhone) in Europe, November 17-23, 2011- #1 in Board Games, #1 in Strategy Games in 32 countries, including UK, France, Germany, Canada and USA!
PUT THE BEST-SELLING TICKET TO RIDE BOARD GAME IN YOUR POCKET!
A UNIQUELY FUN TRAIN ADVENTURE THAT TAKES A MINUTE TO LEARN BUT A LIFETIME TO MASTER!
OVER 2 MILLION PLAYERS HAVE ALREADY HOPPED ON BOARD!
Cult of Mac: “Like its bigger iPad-dwelling brother, the iPhone version is very well designed and produced… It’s set to take the mobile gaming world by storm again.”
Epinions.com: “It’s the most enjoyable game I’ve played all year. Call it heresy but Angry Birds just didn’t do it for me like placing colored trains across a map of the United States. ”
Gamezebo: “An excellent portable adaptation of one of the best board games of the last 10 years (and) a great point of entry for gamers not familiar with the series.”
iOS Board Games: “Should be in every iOS board gamer’s digital collection.”
TapCentral: “A phenomenal game at a phenomenal price.”
** What is it?
A digital adaptation of the best-selling Ticket to Ride board game, designed from the ground up specifically for the iPhone and iPod Touch.
** What’s in it?
• A SOLO and PASS-and-PLAY version of the US map that made the original Ticket to Ride board game so compelling and popular (2 million copies and counting…).
• LOCAL play support over a same Wi-Fi or Bluetooth network, making it perfect for a game-on-the-go between friends.
• A new MULTI mode for playing asynchronously with one or more online friends, using Game Center under iOS 5. You can even play multiple games simultaneously.
• 20 uniquely fun Game Achievements you can win while playing SOLO!
• Distinct leader boards showing your highest scores in 2-3 and 4-5 player modes and on Game Center.
• Four distinct AI personalities to compete against.
• A new under 2 minute Tutorial video, custom-shot for the iPhone & iPod Touch.
** What did we keep out?
• Real-time Online Play & other maps (Europe, Switzerland, 1910) offered in Ticket to Ride for iPad.
** What else?
We care deeply about your ideas, comments and suggestions. Please feel free to contact us on our forums at www.daysofwonder.com
What’s New in Version 1.1
** What’s New
• New “Multi” Online Play Experience: Game Center-based asynchronous play (iOS 5 only)
a. Play online with your friends or let the system auto-match you with opponents.
b. Play multiple games at once; quickly cycle through the ones in which it’s your turn.
c. Be notified when it’s your turn to play (“It’s Your Turn”), even if you left the game.
d. Review your completed games in details.
• Improved Local Play Experience:
a. The game does not go into sleep anymore while playing.
b. Game is automatically put on hold when a player leaves the app or a connection error occurs. Every instances of the app then try to reconnect with each others.
c. Game Creator can now add some bots to a Local game: Simply click on an empty slot to toggle through the different Bots before game start.
d. An opponent who joined the game can be kicked out by its creator: click on the corresponding player slot to kick him out.
• New Ticket Gauge shows the number of tickets left in the drawing pile.
• Total number of tickets in hand is now shown next to the number of tickets left to do.
• New Game Center Leaderboard for number of Solo games played.