Leamington Spa, United Kingdom – DemonStudios today is pleased to announce the release of Lead Wars v1.3, the latest major update to its skill-based pencil and paper war game. This update adds asynchronous online play thanks to the new turn-based gaming features of Game Center and iOS 5. This means players can now battle online head-to-head making their moves whenever it suits and have up to 30 online games on the go all at once.
Lead Wars simulates the kind of games which were popular in the days before portable gaming devices. You control a fleet of planes, tanks and artillery units around a hand-drawn battlefield on a piece of paper, taking turns making long curve shots and strategic moves to try and outwit and out-skill your opponent.
This is not a simple path-drawing game – the mechanic works exactly like it does with a real pencil (try it!): Point a pencil straight down onto a piece of paper holding it with just your index finger on the top. Then, while pressing down firmly, slowly tilt the top of the pencil – beyond a critical angle threshold the tip will suddenly slip away leaving a line drawn on the paper. This line determines your move or shot on the battlefield.
Lead Wars simulates this ‘old skool’ paper war game mechanic using the touch-screen as if you’re physically touching the top of a real pencil – see here for vids of the real life game and Lead Wars in action! http://www.youtube.com/DemonStudiosLtd
The best thing about playing Lead Wars on your iOS device though is you’re not having to rub out all your previous moves, there’s no arguments as to whether a shot hit or not and no dangerous flying pencils! The physical skill required to make your move makes the game challenging but great fun and very rewarding, particularly when you make that near-impossible curve shot around a wall to win the battle!
* Online multiplayer: Battle Live or Asynchronously
* Single-player vs-CPU and 2-player pass ‘n’ play
* Single-player Campaign – rise up through the Army ranks
* Map Creator – create your own battlefields and play them online
* 21 Game Center Achievements (9 hidden!) Leaderboard
* Simple touch controls – easy to learn but tricky to master
* Training missions and 70 Campaign missions
* Special ‘MoveAid’ system and in-game tips for beginners
* 8 standard built-in battlefields and store up to 75 custom maps
* Have up to 30 online games on the go at once on Game Center
* Have up to 25 local games on the go at once with auto-save
* Highly configurable rules of battle: choose action or strategy
* Four types of paper and three pencil leads
* Play your own iPod music in the background
* Auto-rotating interface – play in any orientation
* Automatic state resume, even after app is closed
* Universal App (iPad iPhone/iPod) fully supporting Retina Display
* Hand-drawn pencil art and verbal soundFX, just like the real game
* iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
* Requires iOS 4.2 or later
* Universal Application
* 13.5 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Lead Wars 1.3 is $2.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Games category.
Located in Leamington Spa, United Kingdom, DemonStudios Ltd was founded in 2008 by James Shaughnessy. After graduating from Manchester University he dabbled in the Net Yaroze home development PlayStation and created cover disk title Gravitation, before starting work professionally for Codemasters in 1999. After nearly 11 years there was itching to get his own company trading and go back to his one-man development roots, so left Codies at the end of 2009 and twelve months later released Lead Wars for iOS, under the DemonStudios brand. Since then the game has seen three major updates, notably adding AI and a single-player campaign, and most recently adding asynchronous online play. Another project is near completion called Logograph, an educational LOGO programming tool, plus a few other undisclosed ideas are in the pipeline. All Material and Software Copyright (C) 2011 DemonStudios Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.