Intellipad for iPad- Helping Special Needs Kids Read, Write, Communicate
Rockville, Maryland – Intellipad is pleased to introduce Intellipad 1.0 for iPad, their new Education app created by speech and occupational therapists for special needs students. Intellipad’s intuitive keyboard editor enables anyone to easily create custom keyboards with distinct layouts, number of keys, fonts and colors. Each key can be assigned any letter, word, or sentence, opening new possibilities for creating individualized keyboards designed to fit the users’ unique needs and educational goals. Featuring unlimited customization, the app includes text-to-speech, word prediction, spell check, integrated notepad, photo import, and the ability to record audio that will play each time a key is touched.
Teachers and therapists can use Intellipad as an assistive technology tool, to precisely control the level of difficulty of basic reading and writing tasks. For example: Jennifer was struggling to locate the letters of her name amongst the other letters. Using Intellipad, her teacher deleted the 20 extra letters to reduce the visual information presented. As Jennifer developed increased visual scanning and letter recognition abilities, more letters were added until she could locate the letters of her name on a traditional keyboard.
Intellipad’s notepad features makes typing on the iPad faster, easier and more accurate. Word prediction saves the user time by reducing the number of keystrokes. It can even expand the user’s written vocabulary by completing words that they may not have attempted.
The app also incorporates advanced text-to-speech capabilities. Users can choose from six different voices that provide clear, intelligible, text-to speech audio output. This technology enables Intellipad to be used as a communication device. Text from emails, stories or articles can be pasted into the Intellipad and read aloud. When editing, students who hear their text read aloud often find it easier to recognize and correct their errors.
The integrated file management system enables keyboards and documents to be organized into folders. This allows Intellipad to be used with multiple students on the same iPad. Users can develop, categorize, save, and share custom keyboards. The app includes integrated email connectivity, print, and copy to clipboard. A dual format (notepad or photo image with text) is offered and any image saved on the iOS device can be imported into the notepad.
* Intellipad is a customizable keyboard and notepad that enhances accessibility for all individuals
* Low cost improves access to advanced assistive technology applications and Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)
* Allows educators to design keyboards that fit students’ needs and educational goals
* Create, store, organize, and share custom keyboards
* Users can shift between keyboards (e.g., QWERTY and word bank keyboards)
* Unlimited flexibility to create lesson plans for use with the custom keyboard
* Dual format: notepad or photo image with text
* Any image saved on the iOS device can be imported into the notepad
* Word prediction for increased typing speed and spelling support
* Text to Speech technology powered by the Acapela Group: 6 natural, high-quality voices for clear intelligible speech output
* Type lower or upper case letters using Shift key
* Standard size keys or longer keys (made by merging two or more keys together)
* 11 different fonts, including D’Nealian and Zaner-Bloser Styles
* Unlimited color combinations for key symbol(s), key background, and keyboard grid
* Set up a standard keyboard template with QWERTY, high frequency, or alphabetic layouts, or configure a completely distinct and original layout
* Option to apply unique color(s) to select keys only (e.g., to highlight vowels)
Intellipad is a complete assistive technology solution that provides a low cost alternative for individuals needing access to advanced technologies. “This is a powerful tool with great potential for assisting students with special needs,” stated Cheryl Bregman of Intellipad. “We look forward to building a community of Intellipad users that can share lesson plans, keyboard layouts, and successful strategies for implementation of Intellipad-assisted learning.”
* Compatible with iPad
* iOS 4.3 or later
* 132 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Intellipad 1.0 is $19.99 (USD) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category. Review copies are available upon request.
Located in Rockville, Maryland, the Intellipad team is comprised of occupational and speech therapists working with individuals with disabilities. They are passionate about discovering solutions that will improve the independence and quality of life for individuals with disabilities through assistive applications and educational games. Copyright (C) 2011 Intellipad. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks and registered trademarks may be the property of their respective owners.