Instapaper 3.0 Update gets Social
Instapaper (TMA Review), the most popular “read it later” service on the web and for mobile devices (also an essential app on my iDevice), has received its biggest update ever. With Instapaper 3.0, you can now follow other Instapaper users and check out articles they’ve “liked”, or simply browse through Instapaper’s Editor’s Picks. Friends can be added via an email address, Facebook or Twitter. Other new features and improvements include:
- “Star” is now called “Like” to clarify its purpose.
- New storage engine with perfect image quality, faster downloads, faster page-opening, and less space usage.
- Search all downloaded articles by title or content.
- Native, offline sharing to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinboard, and Evernote.
- Smart rotation lock offers to disable rotation if a rotation seems accidental.
If you’re new to Instapaper, it really is a fantastic tool that lets you save articles you come across on the web for viewing later (and offline). Simply visitÂ instapaper.com to get started and sign up for your free account. As with previous versions, Instapaper 3.0 is a universal app ($4.99) and the update is free for those who’ve already purchased it.
Save web pages for later offline reading, optimized for readability on your iPhone or iPod touch’s screen. Featured by Apple and critically acclaimed by top blogs, newspapers, and magazines!
Great for long articles and blog posts that you find during the day and would like to read, but don’t have the time when you find them. Save with Instapaper, then read later when you’re commuting, in a meeting, or waiting in line.
New in 3.0: You can now browse and save articles that your friends liked on Instapaper! Find friends on Facebook or Twitter, or via email.
Sending to Instapaper is supported by over 135 other iPhone and iPad apps! You can even send long emails to Instapaper.
And if you run out of articles to read, or haven’t had time to find any, you can browse the Editor’s Picks for more, curated by hand from the Instapaper community’s most-saved stories.
– Saves most web pages as text only, stripping away the full-sized layout to optimize for the iPhone and iPad screens
– Distraction-free reading environment gets out of your way so you can focus on the content
– Everything you download is then available **OFFLINE**, so you can read whenever you want, even on airplanes or on Wi-Fi-only devices away from internet connections
EXCLUSIVE TO THE PAID EDITION:
– Adjustable fonts, text sizes, line spacing, and margins
– Dark mode for night reading
– Dictionary lookups
– Tilt scrolling, page-flipping
– Article sharing via email, Tumblr, or Twitter
– Rotation lock
– Download up to 500 articles on your iPhone or iPad, and store unlimited articles on the Instapaper website
– Preview links in the built-in browser without leaving the app
What’s New in Version 3.0
** ALL ARTICLES WILL BE RE-DOWNLOADED AFTER UPDATING! **
– New social recommendation system: you can “follow” other Instapaper users to browse the articles they Like. Find friends via Facebook, Twitter, or your Contacts.
– Browse for articles directly in the app from the web or Instapaper’s Editor’s Picks.
– “Star” is now called “Like” to clarify its purpose.
– New storage engine with perfect image quality, faster downloads, faster page-opening, and less space usage.
– Search all downloaded articles by title or content.
– Native, offline sharing to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinboard, and Evernote.
– Smart rotation lock offers to disable rotation if a rotation seems accidental.
– Share panel now supports creating tasks in Things.
– New preferences: Reverse tilt-scrolling direction, disable helpful dialogs.
– MANY more big and small fixes and improvements.
– RSS-feed folders can no longer be added, in favor of the other content-finding features which work much better and result in dramatically faster updates.