The JBnator Diaries – Jailbreaking your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch with iOS 4.1 via limera1n [Tutorial]
Hi folks! I know it’s been a while, but with the recent release of the long-awaited jailbreak for iOS 4.1 from both geohot and Dev Team I just couldn’t NOT address it. I made a short news bit about it several days ago, but I know what you really want is a detailed step by walkthrough. So here you are! Oh yeah, just remembered – if you’re an owner of an iPhone 2G, 3G or iPod Touch 1G or 2G this is not the article for you. At the moment limera1n only works on iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G/4G, iPad, iPhone 4 and theoretically on the Apple TV 2G. So if you’re the lucky owner of the aforementioned devices – read on!
Also, if you desire a clean device while keeping all of your saved games and other stuff, look out for an updated guide on backing up and restoring the info in the near future.
Our toolbox for today:
- iPhone 3GS/4 or iPod Touch 3G/4G or iPad
- limera1n – download the latest version at Geohot’s site – http://www.limera1n.com/
- Windows (for the moment) personal computer with the latest version of iTunes
- The original Apple OS for your specific device – you can download it using iTunes or from the links below for version 4.1:
- Note: limera1n works on iOS 4.0, 4.01, 4.0.2, 4.1 only (and 3.2.2 for the iPad).
Important: For the moment there is NO unlock for iOS 4.1, so if you require one, stick to your current version.
Let’s get breaking out of jail!
1. Run iTunes, hold shift and click restore and browse to the OS file.This will take quite some time, so you can safely go and make yourself a spot of tea. After the process is over, you have a virgin iDevice running the latest OS version (4.1 in our case)
2. [Officially unlocked or original SIM card available iPhone only] Connect to iTunes and activate your iPhone
3. Run limera1n (it will “hacktivate” the iPhone if necessary)
4. Press “make it ra1n”
5. The iDevice will go into recovery mode
6. Now we have to put it into DFU mode according to the instructions on-screen:
1. Hold the Home and Power buttons until the device reboots
2. Now release the Power button while still holding the Home one until you see limera1n say “in DFU mode”
7. Behold the strange rendering of the lime-coloured raindrop on your iDevice
8. After a while your device will power down. If it doesn’t boot up automatically in 30 seconds or so don’t worry, just do it manually.
9. After the iDevice reboots, you’ll see a limera1n icon on the Springboard (with no picture though)
10. Set up a wireless (Wi-Fi) connection. If you run into issues, try resetting network parameters (Settings-General-Reset-Reset Network Settings) – that should fix the issue
11. Run limera1n on the iDevice and install Cydia
12. Reboot and run limera1n again to uninstall it
13. Start up Cydia and update it completely
14. Start up Cydia again and install the afc2add demon to provide for the various iPhone browsing apps
Hooray, hooray, you’re now the proud owner of a freshly jailbroken and upgraded Jesus phone, running the latest OS.