A little over a year ago a game took the App Store’s adventure section by storm, setting a new bar for others to follow and snatching the crown of the genre for several months to come. I’m talking, of course, about the excellent adaptation of Jules Verne’s Return To Mysterious Island (TMA Review) for the iPhone by Tetraedge games. And while it has since been surpassed by other titles in quality it still holds a well-deserved place in our App Store’s Best Adventure roundup. Well, Return to Mysterious Island – Deluxe Edition has just been released for the iPad and surprisingly, it’s literally a completely different title, even developed by a different company.
Anuman, Return to Mysterious Island – Deluxe Edition – $9.99
In difference with the iPhone version, which was an “adapted” one — meaning puzzles and various bits of gameplay were re-engineered to match the format — the Deluxe iPad version is a complete downright port from the full-scale PC game. The controls have been re-worked for the touchscreen, but in all other regards it’s the same game. Whether it is for the better or the worse is up to you players to decide.
App Store Description
Voices and text in English.
Plunge into the heart of one of the greatest adventures by Jules Verne!
While participating in the famous solo round-the-world sailing expedition – the Jules Verne Trophy – the navigator, Mina, strands on a island without any way to contact the emergency services. Therefore the courageous young woman will only rely on her senses and her ability to recuperate, before trying to escape the island. However, a mysterious shadow hovers over this land, cut off from the world, which does not appear so uninhabited as it seemed at first sight…
Freely adapted from the “Mysterious Island” by Jules Verne, “Return to Mysterious Island” is the sequel to the novel. In the role of Mina, explore the mythical locations of the original work (Granite House, Volcano, Nautilus, etc.) and solve many puzzles hidden in the mysterious island.
- Splendid photorealistic pre-rendered graphics that show nature left to itself where the lush tropical vegetation is queen.
- Original interactive inventory that allows to combine and create many new items and tools.
- A scenario that offers freedom in solving the puzzles and in progressing in the adventure that is rewarded by a scoring system.
- A good way to discover the novel and to give players the desire to read or reread it.
- A Sound ambience that perfectly illustrates the paradise though disturbing atmosphere of the island.
- Voices and text in 5 languages (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish)
EXCLUSIVE: English Walkthrough included