Apple recently announced a trial program that integrates the iPad into academics wherein educational institutions will now be able to buy apps in bulk through iTunes. It’s not surprising, then, that Stanford Medical School is poised to take the plunge. Stanford University is a staunch supporter of Apple’s education initiatives and last year began teaching iPhone app development courses for free to its students.
Given the iPad’s phenomenal success since its release in April, first year medical students at Stanford will be pleased to know they are getting one for free. To sweeten the deal, iAnnotate PDF will be required reading. Popular with medical professionals, the app is widely regarded as the ideal tool to improve the student learning experience. Aji, LLC, the developers, have recently updated iAnnotate to include full Dropbox and VGA support.
Working closely with Stanford, Aji,LLC aims to improve live note-taking and automatic distribution of lecture materials to their students.
“Many medical professionals have found iAnnotate especially useful in their work, so Stanford’s iPad program is a perfect fit for the app,” says Jim Brink, Founder of Aji. In the near future, the company will offer the ability to integrate iAnnotate technology directly into businesses and schools with enterprise support. This will facilitate easy group device configuration, shared documents, and remote push synchronization.
iAnnotate is a complete annotation solution that gives students and other professionals the ability to take notes, highlight, and underline within documents and diagrams with the drag of a finger. iAnnotate eliminates the need for voluminous printed texts and easily consolidates and organizes notes and documents. Teachers can quickly grade assignments, and share annotated diagrams, charts or syllabi. Students can easily email and share notes on PDFs to their study groups.
Aji, LLC recently unveiled updates that include optimizations to finger/pen movements, improved responsiveness, screen-based navigation and better security. Combined with users ability to transfer PDFs via email, iTunes sync or even clicking any PDF web link.
“It’s really exciting to be able to bring this streamlined approach to learning into the classroom through iPad. It’s just an incredibly simple way to go green and paperless while taking notes, studying and grading with iAnnotate,” says Jim Brink, Founder of Aji. “Anyone who works with PDFs will love iAnnotate, and in 1.2 we’ve added a ton of functionality.”
Aji, LLC, iAnnotate PDF, 7.4 MB – $9.99
iAnnotate App Description
iAnnotate is both an elegant PDF reader and a powerful annotation tool that finally lets you work with your PDFs. You can open documents from email, sign and send out contracts, enter notes for edits, sketch diagrams, copy text, and add highlights or underline with the drag of a finger!
Unlike other apps that only let users draw on top of a PDF, iAnnotate fully integrates its annotations directly into the PDF such that they will be available to any standard PDF readers like Adobe Reader or Preview. You can transfer PDFs via email, iTunes sync or even clicking any PDF web link in the integrated web browser. Marking up and emailing it right back out couldn’t be easier!
The intuitive drag and drop interface offers customizable toolbar locations, and an easy to access contextual menu makes it possible to work with the toolbars completely hidden. You can search your entire library for documents containing any keyword, view which documents are “new”, “unread”, “recently viewed”, or “annotated”, and tabbed browsing makes it easy to work on several documents simultaneously.
Use iAnnotate to read your PDFs, take your business paperless, and simplify your work flow. Anyone who works with PDFs will love it!
- A complete annotation system: Text Notes, Highlight, Underline, Free-Form Drawing, Bookmarks, and more. An intuitive interface allows for viewing and editing annotations without leaving the document reading view.
- Full-featured PDF reader: Continuous-scrolling page display with all standard scroll/zoom gestures supported, and full screen reading mode. Edit mode now supports two-finger scrolling.
- Easy transfer of PDFs: Send and receive PDFs via email, Dropbox, through iTunes sync, by browsing to any PDF link, or using our free desktop transfer software.
- Tabbed PDF Reading: Quickly switch between multiple open documents. Tab setup and page locations are always remembered, whether switching tabs or quitting and returning to the app.
- Fully Customizable Toolbars: Reposition and resize toolbars, and drag-and-drop to configure tools included on each.
- Comprehensive PDF support: Copy-and-paste text, view existing PDF annotations, support for internal and URL links, and PDF outline/bookmarks support. Fully integrates annotations directly into the PDF.
- Document and full-library search: Search your entire PDF library to instantly find all documents with any keyword. Tabs sort new, recent, unread, and annotated documents.
- VGA output: Use the iPad VGA dock connector to display your documents onto an external projector or monitor. Your document view, along with all annotations and popup displays, is mirrored as you navigate and annotate the document. You can also reference documents in other tabs on your iPad, without affecting the presented display.
- APS (Aji PDF Service): Free companion desktop application for easy sync with your existing desktop PDF collection. Recommended for large libraries of documents.
- Aji Support: integrated application help and tips, and top-notch email and forum support.