Skype updated to support iOS4 multitasking
Hallelujah! The thing that everyone has been waiting since Steve Jobbs’s iOS4 announcement has finally happened! Skype has been updated with full iOS4 multitasking support, including one for receiving calls and IMs in the background and switching to another application in the process. How this will affect AT&T’s profits remain unclear, but I for one am glad this has finally happened. Did I mention calls over 3G are supported?
Here’s what’s new:
- Run Skype in the background with multitasking in iOS4.
- Receive Skype calls and IM while other apps are running or when your iPhone is locked. You can also continue your call while you switch to another application.
- Multitasking is available only with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.
Get it now or check after the gap for full app decription.
Skype Software S.a.r.l, Skype, 7.44MB – Free
With Skype on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad, you can make and receive calls, and instant message anyone else on Skype, wherever they are in the world. You can also save on international calls and text messages to phones. Skype is free to download and easy to use. With the latest version, you can now call over 3G*, and keep Skype running in the background.
Call Skype-to-Skype, wherever you are
- Call your Skype contacts wherever you may be, either on 3G or WiFi, with near CD quality sound. It’s completely free to call people on Skype over WiFi or 3G*.
Great value international calls and text messages
- If your contacts abroad aren’t on Skype, you can still reach them and save with Skype’s great rates. Call and text phones anywhere in the world directly from your phonebook.
- Instant message for an instant response
With Skype for iPhone, you can instant message one or many people on Skype at the same time, wherever, and whenever the mood strikes.
*Operator data charges may apply
- This version works on iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad and iPod touch. Skype requires iPhone OS version 3.0 or above.
- Calling functionality is available on iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad and 2nd generation iPod touch onwards. iPod touch requires a compatible headset with a microphone.
- Near CD quality sound for Skype-to-Skype calls using wideband audio (SILK codec) on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad and 2nd & 3rd generation iPod touch.