iLiveMath Speed – Land, Sea, Air and Space Innovations
Sacramento, California – iHomeEducator today is pleased to announce the release of iLiveMath Speed 2.2, a new educational app for 2nd to 6th grade. iLiveMath Speed includes over 40 photos of human innovations, educational links, and educational videos with over 100k randomly generated math word problem questions which teach addition, subtraction, and multiplication.
* Do you know what drafting means in a bicycle race or in a car race?
* Do you know what a knot is? a nautical mile?
* Did you know a jet can travel 1 mile in 3 seconds?
* Do you know what Mach is?
* Did you know the Space Shuttle reaches Mach 22 to escape the earth’s gravity?
* Do you know how fast the International Space Station travels?
These concepts are introduced through illustrative word problems which are not just facts on a page, but the student must read, comprehend, analyze, and pick an answer. This process reinforces the students comprehension beyond flashcards.
A natural language engine is built into the app and randomly composes different nouns, verbs, and quantities to create theme based questions and answers that are matched to the photograph and also to the sounds. This engages the students and helps each question seem familiar yet new. Children will ask “What does mach mean?” which opens the door to teaching opportunities about the speed of sound.
Here are some quotes from our reviewers of past apps in the series:
“iHomeEducator have already made a number of apps for iPhone and iPod touch, and their first iPad edition of iLiveMath was heralded as an enormous success. So how does this new release stand alongside its notable cousins?… This [iLiveMath Oceans] is a great app, full of possibilities and beautifully interactive. It is almost ‘education without education’ and should keep your children interested for hours. Actually, it should keep most adults interested as well. I think I may just buy this for myself… I mean, for my son…!” iPad.net
The first in the iLiveMath series was listed by GameClassroom as a Top 10 Educational iPad App, “Stampeding toward an iPad near you, this app (iLiveMath Animals of Africa) combines math with zoology for a hair-raising learning experience (which is currently being enhanced for Apple’s latest and greatest).”
“Each of these three iLiveMath apps are engaging and succeed in making mathematical connections to real world scenarios thus allowing math to ‘come alive’ for students. This is a great alternative to traditional practice while still providing meaningful problems to further develop concepts”, states Hyperhomeschool blogger.
Just like the previous iLiveMath apps, students and teachers can collaborate on word math problems using Twitter, email, and blogs. Questions are asked and the student selects the answer from a picker dial. The student is then provided immediate correct or incorrect feedback.
(1) Review dynamically and randomly generated word problems
(2) Share your question and answer summaries on our community blog
(3) Email the questions and answers to your educator for review
(4) Tweet questions to followers and friends
(5) Explore related educational wiki links in a kid safe browser
(6) Watch fun educational videos after you’ve correctly answered a certain number of questions. This can be set by the educator at a threshold of 1, 5, 10, 15, and 20 correct answers before the video feature is enabled
* Level 1: Basic addition and subtraction
* Level 2: Includes addition, subtraction, multiplication and speed concepts
* Level 3: Includes addition, subtraction, multiplication, and advanced speed concepts
Universal App release advantages:
* Runs on iPad as well as iPhone/iPod touch
* Layout for the iPad fully utilizes the larger screen showing off the photos
* Landscape and Portrait Mode is supported for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch.
Arlene Lee, co-founder said, “After seeing a bike race pass our neighborhood and an airshow come to town we were inspired to teach our children more. Furthermore, we wanted to pay tribute to the 2010 retirement of the Space Shuttle program. With this app we hope to teach the concepts and honor the achievements of all human innovations on land, sea, air and space.”
iLiveMath Speed will be the first in a new theme based series around speed and related concepts all intended to help engage and capture the imagination of students while creating additional teaching opportunities. Coming soon will be iLiveMath Trains.
* iPad, iPhone and iPod touch
* Universal App and therefore automatically runs on the iPad
* Requires iPhone OS 3.1.2 or later
* Compiled and tested on iOS4
* 12.2 MB
Pricing and Availability:
iLiveMath Speed 2.2 is currently listed for the introductory price of $2.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Education category. iLiveMath are being developed and enhanced to be Universal Apps for the iPad. Coming Soon: iLiveMath Trains which introduces currency and weight while reviewing speed and basic math. MathSpinK, 1, 2, and 3 are each $0.99.
iHomeEducator was founded in 2009 by a credentialed California State Board of Education teacher and parent. We currently home educate three children through a Charter School. Through this personal experience we are able to provide tools for home educators. Our applications provide a means of personalized learning and fun independent study serving students from kindergarten through 12th grade. At iHome Educator, we believe every child can excel by leveraging today’s modern mobile wireless technology and collaborating through social networking. Copyright (C) 2009-2010 iHomeEducator. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.