iPad Spirit jailbreak out – already some nifty features unlocked!
Hallelujah. Just a few days after the iPad 3G started shipping, the long awaited untethered jailbreak for the “Jesus” devices – codenamed Spirit – is finally out (for the masses). It works on ANY iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch running OS < 4.0! I’m going to write out a detailed walkthrough of jailbreaking your iDevice later this week as part of my JBNator Diaries column, but for now, check the low-down after the gap.
P.S. A lot of the packages in Cydia are not optimized for iPad, so it’s best to be a bit selective on what you install.
With the iPad jailbreak finally out, some nifty tweaks have already been discovered and published on the internet. As with the Spirit jailbreak walk-through, I’ll get to it in the coming weeks. But here’s the quickie bit – you can (a) enable the voice control and (b) manually tweak the installed AppStore apps to take advantage of the fullscreen without the messy default 2X upscaling.
- Spirit is an untethered jailbreak for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch on the latest firmwares.
- Spirit is not a carrier unlock.
- If you currently are using a tethered jailbreak, you have to restore to use Spirit. Do not upgrade if you use an unlock on an iPhone 3G or 3GS. (You can, however, restore to 3.1.2 if you have SHSH blobs for that version.)
- Any iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch on firmware 3.1.2, 3.1.3, or 3.2.
- An activated device: one not stuck on the Connect to iTunes or Emergency Call screen.
- Any version of iTunes 9 (including 9.1.1).
- Syncing with iTunes before trying this is highly recommended. (An issue has been reported where Spirit deletes the photos on the device. I will investigate this; in the meantime, please make sure your photos are backed up.)