The JBnator Diaries – How to create a US iTunes account without a US Credit Card!
Hey there folks! Seeing as we just opened up the forums and thanks to many very generous developers have been able to give out countless (haha) freebies, I wanted to tackle a topic that is a problem for many people out there: redeeming iTunes promotion codes. As everyone knows – to redeem a code or a GC you require a US iTunes account.
It’s well known that in order to register for an iTunes account, you HAVE to have a credit card for that country, right? Well, wrong. And the strangest thing is – Apple doesn’t keep it much of a secret, since this article is based on their own support ticket. Anyway, let’s get cracking!
The procedure is actually very simple and requires only a valid e-mail and about 10 minutes of your time. So, here we go!
- Sign out of your iTunes account (Store -> Sign Out)
- Open the iTunes Store homepage
- Scroll down and select Change Country from the Manage column
- Select United States
- Open the AppStore
- Search for any FREE application (I recommend AroundMe)
- Click on Get App
- Click Create New Account
- Click Continue
- Check the box next to “I have read and agree to the iTunes Terms and Conditions.” and click Continue
- Fill out the fields, making sure to provide a valid e-mail address and click Continue
- Select None as the payment option
- Fill out the Salutation, First and Last name fields
- Open maps.google.com
- Search for Miami, Florida
- Right Click on any place you you like and select What’s here
- Fill out the Address fields in iTunes with the data from GMaps paying special attention to the Zip code and state (Note: It’s important to choose Florida since it is one of the few states with no VAT so no extra charge for the stuff you buy.)
- Put in any telephone number you desire.
- Click on Continue
- Notice that a confirmation e-mail has been sent to your address.
- Check your specified e-mail and click on the link.
- Congratulations, you are now the owner of a US iTunes account!
Ok, folks, that’s it! As usual, if you have any questions, comments or suggestions you can leave a comment here or on our newly opened forums.