Air Mouse Pro (Remote / Trackpad) update turns your iPhone into a “Universal Remote”
When R.P.A Tech’s Air Mouse Pro was released over a year ago, it held the distinction as the first and only app to turn your iPhone/iPod Touch into a, well, air mouse. Improvements were made with each update and now that version 2.0 has finally been released, Air Mouse Pro has become the undisputed heavyweight champ of all iDevice mouse/trackpads. Not only will the app serve as a simple wireless mouse, AMP essentially transforms your iPhone into an all-in-one universal remote for your for your PC/Mac.
R.P.A. Tech, Air Mouse Pro (Remote / Trackpad) – $1.99
The biggest addition comes in the form of the new Application launcher/switcher. Whether you’re on your PC or Mac, all your running programs (as well as favorited ones) will appear inside the app window for seamless nagivation. From my experience so far on both my desktop (XP) and macbook, AMP works like a charm. The best part is that you can configure just about any program to work with the app and even create your own hotkeys for functions you use most of. Oh and Custom scripting is supported. Now you can write scripts – Applescript on the Mac, or VBScript on the PC - for any of the custom buttons.
The other great feature is the use of an innovative application notification system. As such, your iPhone and iPod Touch will always “know” which applications are running on your PC/Mac and display the appropriate keys for that application. So if you were to open iTunes on your desktop (with actual mouse and not iPhone), Air Mouse Pro will immediately display the media remote interface along with some of the most used functions.
There are so many things you can do with AMP that it will take some time to unearth all the little neat features it is capable of. While it may not completely replace the traditional mouse, this amazing app can work wonders as a companion for all your websurfing and multimedia needs. The price tag of $1.99 is an absolute steal for turning your iDevice into a highly versatile and robust remote/trackpad.
The video below will give you a good run through of the app in action (note: the version in video is pre-2.0 release).
** MAJOR UPDATE! **
** Major update! **
- Application launcher/switcher: All your running programs will appear inside Mobile Air Mouse and allow for easy switching between running programs, as well as the ability to launch your favorite programs.
- Relocated Function Keyboard: Moved the extended keyboard to the main keyboard toolbar, allowing for easier switching between keyboards, and the ability to use modifier keys with function keys.
- Numeric Keyboard: Allows you to enter true numeric keyboard numbers.
- Revised media screen interface: Redesigned the media screen.
- Media Eject button: Now you can eject CDs/DVDs from your internal drive.
- New custom media keys: Added 8 additional custom keys along the left and right side of the media screen. These are fully customizable and can be given names, which will show on the media screen for each program they were assigned to.
- Revised the Web screen: Added buttons for opening a new tab or window.
- URL Open button: When pressed, it will highlight the address bar text and bring up the URL keyboard on the iPhone, making it very easy to enter a URL on your computer.
- Double Tap To Zoom: To zoom in on your screen, double tap the scroll pad but hold your finger down on the second tap and run it up and down to zoom in and out. (Only supported on OS X 10.5+ and Windows 7)
- Sleep/Wake your computer: When starting up the app, it will automatically try to connect to the last connected server. If the server is sleeping, it will attempt to wake it before connecting. If you want to manually try to wake a sleeping computer, go into the preferences screen, then press the power button in the upper right hand corner. You can also put your computer to sleep by holding your finger over the OS icon in the application switcher.
- Auto-updating remote definitions: The server program can now download new and updated remote definitions off our server.
- User published remote definitions: Added the ability for users to submit their own remotes.
- Consolidated program list: Revised the server UI to list all supported programs together.
- Custom scripting: Added the ability to write scripts for any of the custom buttons. In addition to being able to assign keystrokes, you can now assign Applescript on the Mac, or VBScript on the PC.
- New protocol: Changed protocol to TCP. This will allow for more reliable communication and smoother mouse response, while also preventing lost packets over unreliable networks, which can cause dropped keystrokes.
- Improved Mac keyboard compatibility: Programs which were only typing a’s, should now work properly. Dvorak keyboards are now supported also.
- Status messages: Now shows when you are searching, resolving and connecting to servers.
Mobile Air Mouse instantly transforms your iPhone or iPod touch into an in air, wireless remote for your computer! Sit back and use this remote to surf the web, browse your photo library or control your music player from the comfort of your couch. Mobile Air Mouse uses the built in accelerometer to translate your hand motions into mouse movements on your screen. It can also operate as a trackpad remote, allowing you to control your computer with a single finger. Mobile Air Mouse is an essential part of any home theater PC and a presenter’s best friend. Mobile Air Mouse uses an innovative application notification system to let the iPhone know what program you are running at any time and show the appropriate keys for that program. This allows Mobile Air Mouse to provide a single screen remote for controlling ALL your media and web applications. Mobile Air Mouse is the only app to feature a full fledged dock, just like you’d find on your Mac! Mobile Air Mouse supports all the most popular web and media programs for the Mac and PC. New remote definitions are automatically downloaded daily to your computer, so you will always have the newest remotes as we create them.
- Accelerometer based mouse controller
- Touchpad (full screen vertical and landscape modes)
- Application switcher (works just like the dock in OS X)
- Ability to hide keyboard (shake to hide/show)
- Landscape keyboard (shake in landscape mode to show)
- Media Remote (w/vol up/down and eject buttons)
- Web Remote
- Numeric keyboard
- Application notifications
- Remote keyboard with function and arrow keys
- Programmable hotkeys (can be set to run a program or keyboard combination)
- Scroll pad
- Left and Right mouse buttons
- Multitouch gestures (scroll & right click)
- Modifier Keys
- On screen typing
- Sleep/Wake your computer
- Password protection
- Custom sensitivity settings
- Foreign language keyboards
- Supports Bonjour or static IP
- No screen size limitation. Works with multiple monitors.
- Works over Bluetooth PAN. (Requires carrier support for Internet tethering. Not currently available in the US, please read FAQ for more info)
- And much, much more.
– Mac OS X Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard (Intel/PPC)
- Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 (32/64bit)
- WIFI router (works best on a local area network or Ad hoc network)
- Mobile Air Mouse Server Software
** BEFORE YOU RUN THE SOFTWARE ** you will need to download the server application from :
Provides remote control capabilities for programs like iTunes, VLC, Front Row, Windows Media Center, WinAmp, Firefox, Safari, boxee, PowerPoint, Keynote, and much more!