Lost in the myriad of software that allows you to browse the contents of your “Jesus” phone? iPhone PC Suite too much for you? Well, an independent developer from the small and forgotten country of Russia has created a simple plugin for Windows Explorer for all your iPhone browsing needs – iPhone Folders.
If you are a “proud” owner of a Windows OS (minus Windows 7 x64), you can finally browse the complete contents of your phone from the relative safety of Windows Explorer. Just install iPhone Folders and as soon as you connect your phone an icon, titled for some strange reason “iPhone Folders” will appear in My Computer. Now just double-click on it and voila, magic happens!
iPhone folders works through the pre-installed iPhone demon and does not require any additional processes to be installed! And it even works with unJailbroken phones! Granted, you’ll only have access to the /var/Media folder, but still!
Now just a short list of features, many of which have never been implemented in any other iPhone browser!
- Browse the iPhone file system using all of the Windows view (Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, List, Details)
- In Thumbnail view a preview of the JPG and PNG files is shown and for the folders, containing iPhone applications (.app) the icon is substituted for the application icon!
- For symlinks the name of the destination folder or file is shown in Details view
- A summary is presented on the popup for files and the folder size for folders
- You can use the address bar to navigate within your phone with autocomplete even
- File search using the default windows search
- Copy files to and from the phone using Drag’n’Drop or copy/paste
- Automatic conversion from Apple’s proprietary PNG format to the commonly used one and from plist binary to xml formats supported when copying from the phone
- Place links to any folder on the phone right on your desktop (or anywhere else to your liking)
- Symlink and hardlink creation on the phone
- Transparent opening of files on the phone
- The file is automatically transferred to a temporary folder on the desktop
- In case of changes, after closure the file is automatically copied back
- Folder creation on the iPhone
- Rename and delete folders on the iPhone
At the same time there are a few drawbacks:
- As noted earlier the plugin does not work with Windows 7 x64 (because MS only implemented the 64 bit version Explorer there)
- It’s impossible to check or change file/folder permissions (a limitation of the pre-installed iPhone demon “afc”)
- If you have done the Jailbreak using blackra1n, you’ll have to install the “afc2add” package from Cydia for the plugin to work
I have already grabbed the plugin and am completely satisfied with it. If you want to get a piece of the action, head over to the author’s site (in Russian ONLY) or grab the plugin directly here (version 1.0.31 – latest to date)