Last week, we touched on some of Gameloft’s upcoming iDevice games. One of them was a completely rebuilt port of the critically acclaimed RTS classic ‘The Settlers’ and the good news is that it has arrived at the App Store sooner than expected. Unlike some of the other well established genres (TDs, puzzlers etc), we have yet to see a steady flow of quality and must-have RTSes on the iPhone.
Gameloft, The Settlers, $6.99, 227 MB
Welcome to the world of The Settlers! You’ve arrived in a wondrous place populated by Romans, Vikings and Mayans competing or cooperating to reach a variety of goals. These goals include occupying land, ensuring the supply of raw materials, or simply trying to create the most beautiful settlement. There is more than one path which leads to success – you can engage in trade, forge alliances, or lead your army into battle.
- Gather resources and build a lively and bustling town in an ancient world. Your decisions and skill in managing and protecting your settlement will determine its fate.
- The strength of your units depends on how effectively you have built up your settlement and paid attention to the economic relationships within it.
- Three nations to govern: Conquer new territories, defeat rival armies, and establish an empire with your warriors that encompasses lands and continents.
- A huge number of parameters to manage: Dozens of building’s types, settlements, soldiers, raw materials, and much more.
- An accessible game for everybody, thanks to extensive tutorial missions and multi-touch gameplay, ideal for strategy games.
By the looks of it, Gameloft’s The Settlers is a surprisingly deep RTS with loads of resources to gather and more than enough units and buildings to build. If the gameplay and strategic balance comes through in this small screen adaptation, this could very well be a title no fans of the original series (and genre) will want to miss. TMA’s ChiffaN will be working on the review shortly, so stay tuned to see what he thinks of this great looking RTS. In the mean time, feast your eyes on a new tutorial video that explains some of the controls and gameplay elements below.